Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Home Made Spagetti Sauce

I am a little picky on my spaghetti sauce. It has been difficult for me to find a spaghetti sauce I like that is a reasonable price to purchase for food storage. I recently came across this recipe and have used it several times. I love it. It is simple, healthy, and home made with items that could be in your food storage.

The recipe has two parts to it. The first is a dry mix that you could have premeasured and in individual bags for added convenience.

Spaghetti Seasoning Mix:
1 T minced onion (I have used chopped and it worked fine.)
1 T parsley flakes
1 T cornstarch (I leave this out it keeps it a little more saucy and not as thick)
1 T salt
¼ t instant minced garlic
1 t sugar
1 T dried green pepper (I don’t have this in my food storage so haven’t made the recipe with it yet. I am sure it tastes great though)
¼ t basil
¼ t thyme
¼ t sage
¼ t marjoram
¼ t oregano

Spaghetti Sauce:
2 lb of ground beef
2 16 oz cans tomatoes
2 6 oz cans tomato paste
2 4 oz cans mushrooms (never put this in I don’t like mushrooms)
3 T of seasoning mix (I just put all the

Brown ground beef and add all ingredients. Simmer 30 minutes.

I have made it with a few variations. For example; I have not used meat yet. I have added 1 pint jar of pinto beans, which was pretty good. I don’t have thyme or marjoram in my spice cabinet yet so I haven’t made it using those two spices yet, however the flavor is great.

Also I use diced tomatoes and my cans are 14.5 oz. If you are worried about your family not enjoying the tomato bites, just throw the tomatoes in the blender or food processor first. If I make the recipe as is, our family of 3 only uses half. I put the leftovers in a freezer container and keep it for days that I don’t want to be cooking. You could probably make a double batch to get the same effect.

Bottom line, TRY IT. It is a fast recipe, if it wasn’t it would not be in my collection of favorites.

Happy cooking!

No comments: