Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Water - Part 2

Today is the second in a series about water. You can find the first part here.

As I mentioned last week, the first part of my water storage is cases of bottled water. Because these bottles are typically made of thinner plastic, we rotate them frequently.

The second part of my master water plan is 3-gallon heavy duty bottles. These are the types of bottles that you would expect to use in a water cooler (however, we don't). They are thick, sturdy plastic with a white cap. I have purchased them from both a Water & Ice type store, and I have found them at Basha's. I originally chose 3-gallon bottles as opposed to 5-gallon bottles because I can heft and handle one of these bottles. The 5-gallon bottles, however, are too unwieldy for me to handle comfortably.

We currently have 12 of these bottles that we rotate through. Whenever we get down to only having about half of them fully, Johnny will go to a water place and fill the empty ones up. You could easily use tap water to fill them up, too. To facilitate rotation, we keep a container in our refrigerator that has a spigot, and fill it up as needed using these 3-gallon bottles. Right now, because it is so hot outside, we are filling up the container nearly each evening, which equates to rotating our entire supply approximately every two weeks.

The two biggest challenges I have encountered with this part of our water storage is first, where to store the bottles, and second, keeping track of when they were filled. Both were easily solved. We store our bottles in the laundry room. When Johnny built me a wonderful set of shelves last year, I specifically designed them to be tall enough that two cases of bottle water will stack on top of each other underneath the bottom shelf. This is also the perfect height for the bottles. That solved our "where to put them" problem. As far as dating them, you can use a crayon to write the date on the white plastic cap. When you use that bottle, wipe the date off using a Magic Eraser sponge.

Next week, I'll write about the two parts of my water storage that deal with storing water for 6-months at a time. If you have any ideas or suggestions on what has worked for your families, please share them!

No comments: