Saturday, February 13, 2010

Home Made Instant Oatmeal Packets

My Daughter loves and I mean LOVES oatmeal. The good news is she prefers home made versus store bought. The down is every morning I get out a pot and make 1 cup of oatmeal. I dislike having to wash a pot for such a small amount of food. I came across this recipe a while ago and decided to try it out today. I am very excited. It was simple took hardly any time, and is far less expensive than what you pay in the store for the same convenience.

This is the same recipe that was on the board several months back.


"To make individual instant packets:

In blender, blend 1/2 cups of oats until powdery.

Into each of the packets (perhaps a zip-lock style sandwich bag) combine the following ingredients:

1/4 Cup unpowdered oats
2 Tbsp powdered oats
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar (optional)

Close the top securely and store in a cool,dry place.

Microwave Directions for cooking:
Empty packet into microwavable bowl. Add 2/3 Cup water or milk. Microwave at HIGH about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir."

I opted to use a smaller food processor instead of my blender. I also left out both the sugar and salt. I don't need the extra sodium, and we add a little brown sugar to sweeten the oatmeal just a bit after it is cooked.


 


  

 One of my top priorities is my families health, but life is busy. Any time I can combine healthy eating and convenience I do it. Try it and let us know what you think. Enjoy!

No comments: