Thursday, March 18, 2010

Canning Lemon or Orange Juice


Many people plant lemon or orange trees with the great notion of having fresh fruit. These happy thoughts quickly change once the tree has grown. Most fruit/citrus trees have such a great yield it can be very overwhelming to deal with. Many times we freeze as much as we can, and then make offers to all our friends and neighbors in attempts to rid ourselves of the excess.  We recently planted a lemon tree, and I actually am excited for the high yields. Admittedly I am not excited for the work that comes along with that. This year we only had 22 lemons. I weighed them and it came out to a total of 10 lbs.

We don’t have a lot of freezer space so freezing the lemon juice wasn’t my first choice. I looked online and came across a recipe on pickyouown.org for home canning lemon juice. After giving this recipe a try, I have decided to keep it on file.

It comes to 2 cups of lemon juice per pint. We use lemon juice to make lemonade. We will post the recipe we use soon.  Enjoy!

No comments: